Hello Naoki,

Sunday, October 08, 2000, 4:55:50 PM, you wrote:

Roel>> addendum: nonetheless JS influence or not, "--nspsytune" only has
Roel>> negative implications on the -V1 (-q1) I use.  Perfectly possible 128k
Roel>> sounds better, just wanted to express that imo -V1 does not.
Roel>>
Roel>> I don't know what the cause is, but the improvements on lower bitrates
Roel>> are at cost of sound quality degradation on higher ones.

NS> I can't hear the joint stereo noise you mentioned. Maybe this is because
NS> there is differences among individuals on perception of sound. So, I
NS> can't fix it directly.

NS> Since there is no problem currently in regular stereo mode, I believe the
NS> problem is caused by (default) psymodel of joint stereo.

NS> BTW, why do you stick to joint stereo? I think people who pays serious
NS> attention to sound quality should not use joint stereo at high bitrate,
NS> at least with current version of lame. Even FhG doesn't use joint stereo
NS> at high bitrate.

using VBR the advantages of JS far outweigh the disadvantages of JS.
Velvet is for the moment the only track where JS consistently messes
up.  The noise is clearly audible and not in the >16kHz spectrum.
Thing is I advice to use a headphone.  Sennheiser HD-490 ($37)+SB128PCI
($25) makes it very audible.

I am not the only person that hears this.  I had quite a bit
conversation about velvet with David McIntyre of QDesign trying to
tweak their mp2/mp3 encoders on this track.  All findings were
confirmed.

They only occur in the R channel.

The distortions I talk about now are of the nature that anyone with
the right equipment can detect them.

It is not to put down all the hard work you put in -nspsytune, but I
just wanted to signal that on -V1 this is a quite noticable quality
degradation and size increase generally speaking.

--
Best regards,
 Roel                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]